Sikkim Travel Tips – Useful travel tips for tourists visiting Sikkim or planning for a Sikkim travel. Traveling Tips for Sikkim provided below will make your tour to Sikkim a memorable one. Keep these travel tips in mind while traveling or planning for a Tour to Sikkim in India.
Sikkim Traveling Tips :
- It is recommended to attend at least one folk dance or drama while in Sikkim for it is the true mirror of Sikkimese culture.
- Always make it a point to drink sealed mineral water only as water borne infections are quite common here.
- It is advised to carry your prescribed medicines as one may not find the same even at the big stores. It becomes all the more necessary for foreign tourists as most of the medicines in India are locally manufactured and it can be difficult to find the same brands for them.
- The tourists must also not include too many places into their itinerary. A day or half must be kept free to take rest and to shop or explore the place on your own.
- If you wish to visit any restricted areas, contact the nearest Tourist Office of the Sikkim government about the permits needed.
- You are also advised to keep photo copies of important travel documents. One set of the same must also be left behind home with the other set kept at a distance from the originals. You must get photocopies of your tickets, credit cards and passport, visa and travelers cheque. You should also carry extra copies of your passport size photographs.
- It is always advisable to carry a hard suitcase to better withstand the wear and tear.
- Anti bacterial creams and sun screen lotions must be carried along to avoid the suntan and bacterial infections.
- It is also advisable to carry the water purification tablets along.
- The foreign nationals are advised to check out the vaccination requirements before travel. It is mandatory for tourists arriving from a Yellow Fever infected region to carry vaccination certificates with them.
- Carry traveler’s cheques instead of having huge amount of cash.
Best Time to Visit Sikkim
Best Time to Visit Sikkim – Sikkim is a year around destination with beautiful lakes, hill stations and wildlife. One can visit Sikkim during the summer season and just before starting of the winters. The best time to visit Sikkim is between March to June and September to December.
Summer Season (March to June)
Ideally the perfect time to explore Sikkim, nature at its best, weather may fluctuate from region to region depending on your location in the state. You will get a chance to see blooming rhododendrons and orchids, a major attraction for nature lovers in Sikkim. This season is also great for trekking too.
Monsoon Season (July to August)
Monsoon season in Sikkim starting from the month of July till September is the not recommended for tourist. The state is prone to land-slides, travelling by road becomes very difficult, thus is best to avoid travelling to Sikkim during this period. However, hotels across the state offer huge discounts in this period to lure the tourist.
Winter Season (September to December)
The period starting from September till December witness huge influx of tourist in Sikkim as weather becomes clear and perfect to experience enchanting beauty of this wonderland.
Snowfall Season (Time) in Sikkim (December till February)
The season between December till February is the time for snowfall in Sikkim. Several places in the state experience cold climate conditions during this winter period depending on their altitude. Still this is a best time chosen by several Honeymooners couples to travel Sikkim and experience snowfall.
For tourist planning to visit Sikkim, its best to book your accommodation and sightseeing in advance as the state witnesses a huge foot fall of tourist during the above seasons.